Wednesday 20 February 2013

Dear journal,


I have arrived at the stomach! The stomach acts as storage for food, like me. The hydrochloric acid in the stomach’s gastric juice is to lower the pH of the stomach. This makes it a harsh environment for any bacteria I may have had on or in me. This hydrochloric acid also lets the enzyme Protease work at the low pH of the stomach. This environment of the stomach is ideal for the breakdown of my proteins to take place! The digestive enzymes are activated, and pepsinogen is changing to pepsin which is breaking down my proteins into peptides. I noticed that a layer of mucus was coating the interior of the stomach! It is preventing the gastric juice from burning the lining of the stomach!  At the bottom of the stomach is the Pyloric Sphincter. It is regulating food like me from leaving the stomach to the duodenum.



No comments:

Post a Comment